Preparedness & Recovery

911 Board to Shoulder Most of Building's Maintenance Cost

The agreement calls for the 911 district to pay for 70 percent of the building’s utility costs, maintenance and upkeep.

by Eddie Burkhalter, The Anniston Star, Ala. / June 9, 2017
Shutterstock

(TNS) - Calhoun County, Ala., commissioners and the county’s 911 board on Thursday reached an agreement on the leasing of the 911 board’s county-owned building.

Commissioners at Thursday’s meeting approved the leasing agreement for the building at 507 Francis St. in Jacksonville, which for about seven years has housed both the 911 district and offices for the Calhoun County Emergency Management Agency.

Ken Joiner, county administrator, said when the 911 board moved into the building it needed extensive renovations, which were paid for by the 911 board.

“At the time we didn’t really know what the utilization requirements were, square-footage-wise, between the two agencies,” Joiner said. That unknown has been sorted out, he said, and for the last several months the county and the 911 board have worked on the lease agreement.

The agreement calls for the 911 district to pay for 70 percent of the building’s utility costs, maintenance and upkeep. The county will pick up the tab for the remaining 30 percent.

Additionally, the county will pay the 911 district $12,000 annually for the county EMA’s use of the 911 district’s computer systems.

“They will provide all the programing and the necessary hardware for us to be able to do the EMA services,” Joiner said. “It will be a cost-saving measure for both agencies ... we’re pleased to get it done.”

Commissioners on Thursday also hired a company to transport bodies for autopsy. The decision came after the independant contractor who had been doing the work decided to stop, Joiner said.

On average the county has to pay to transport 27 bodies annually to state Department of Forensics labs at a cost of about $4,800, Joiner said. Added to that was the cost of the contractor using the county coroner's van and county-supplied gas, he said. The contract states the county will pay Leeds-based Comfort Touch Transport Services $5,670 annually.

Joiner said when considering the cost of vehicle maintenance and gas, hiring the company will save the county money.

An addition to the county’s holiday schedule for employees, agreed to by commissioners Thursday, will close county office on July 3, a Monday. The added day off will allow county employees to spend more time with their families, commissioners said.


Staff writer Eddie Burkhalter: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @Burkhalter_Star.

———

©2017 The Anniston Star (Anniston, Ala.)

Visit The Anniston Star (Anniston, Ala.) at www.annistonstar.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.