I find it very interesting that the "International" Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) needs to have categories that are set aside for the USA and Canada. Really? I'm wondering if the United States emergency managers are not "exceptional enough" to compete against everyone else in the world — across the board, all categories? Afraid of a little competition? Want your own trophy?
See the link below and competition information that follows:
IAEM 2018 Awards Competition
2018 Call for Entries | 2018 IAEM Awards Competitions and Categories 2018 Guidelines & Entry Forms: Global Awards | Canada Awards | USA Awards
The purpose of the IAEM Awards Competition is to recognize and honor persons who have made special or significant contributions to the field of emergency management and have represented the profession well by their outstanding performance.
Call for Entries in the 2018 IAEM Awards Competition
• The entry period is open now.
• The entry deadline is Friday, June 1, 2018, 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time for all IAEM award competitions.
• There will be no deadline extensions.
• There is no entry fee for IAEM members. Non-members must pay an entry fee as noted on the entry forms.
• The complete award guidelines and official entry forms are posted at the list of links below.
Be sure to read the guidelines carefully and pay close attention to content requirements, format, and length specifications, before submitting your entries via email to Karen Thompson at Thompson@iaem.com.
• You are challenged to write an entry that will command attention of the judges and cause them to want to recognize your quality work. And remember, you can’t win if you don’t enter!
• If you have any questions about award guidelines, please email your questions to Karen Thompson. Good luck!
• Look at the winning entries from previous competitions: 2017 | 2016 | 2015
• 2018 Notifications and Presentations:
o Judging will take place during the month of June, and all award entrants will be notified of results during the month of July 2018.
o Awards will be announced and certificates will be presented at the IAEM Annual Conference, Oct. 29-24, 2018, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. Judges do not see conference registration information. There is no requirement to register for the Annual Conference to be considered for an award or to be selected as an award winner. If you are not present to accept your award certificate, you can designate another person to accept it on your behalf or we can mail it to you.
2018 IAEM Awards Competitions and Categories
Listed below are the competitions and categories. Click on the links provided to access detailed information, award guidelines, and award entry forms.
Global Awards Competition
The IAEM-Global Awards guidelines and entry forms are posted at the links below. Read the guidelines for information about the award categories and how to enter the competition. The competition is administered by the IAEM-Global Awards & Recognition Work Group. The award categories are:
• IAEM-Global Awards Competition (those in any location can enter). Categories include:
o Business & Industry Preparedness Award (one winner)
o Partners in Preparedness Award (one winner)
o Public Awareness Awards (one winner)
o Technology & Innovation Awards (one winner)
• IAEM-Global Student Awards Competition (those in any location can enter). Categories include:
o Student of the Year Award (one winner)
o Student Ally of the Year Award (one winner)
Canada Only Awards Competition
The IAEM-Canada Awards guidelines and entry forms are posted here. Read the guidelines for information about the award categories and how to enter the competition. The competition is administered by the IAEM-Canada Membership Engagement Committee. The award categories are:
• IAEM-Canada Career Excellence Award (Canada only)
• IAEM-Canada Emergency Management Volunteer Award (Canada only)
• IAEM-Canada Prepared Community Award (Canada only)
• IAEM-Canada Merit Award (Canada only)
USA Only Awards Competition
The IAEM-USA Awards guidelines and entry forms are posted at the links below. Read the guidelines for information about the award categories and how to enter the competition. The competition is administered by the IAEM-USA Awards & Recognition Committee. The award categories are:
• IAEM-USA Clayton R. Christopher Memorial Award (USA only)
• IAEM-USA Emergency Manager of the Year Award (USA only) – NEW THIS YEAR!
• IAEM-USA Career Excellence Award (USA only)
• IAEM-USA Uniformed Services Awards (USA only)
o IAEM-USA Military Uniformed Services Emergency Manager of the Year Award
o IAEM-USA Civilian Uniformed Services Emergency Manager of the Year Award
o IAEM-USA Uniformed Services Auxiliary Member of the Year Award
• IAEM-USA Emergency Management (EM) Volunteer Awards (USA only)
o EM Volunteer of the Year Award
o EM Voluntary Organization of the Year Award
• IAEM-USA Student Awards (USA only)
o Student Chapter of the Year
o Student Chapter Advisor of the Year