Colorado Convenes Task Force on Issues Facing Voters with Disabilities
Group has broad participation from disability community leaders to discuss
accessibility, privacy and independence concerns.
Colorado Secretary of State Mike Coffman has convened the "Voter Accessibility,
Independence and Privacy Task Force" to examine election-related issues facing
the Disability Community in Colorado.
"Disability community leaders are
primarily concerned with ensuring that every polling location is accessible to
all voters, and that the voting equipment used in our elections enables every
voter to vote privately and independently," Coffman said. "I have formed this
task force so that their concerns are heard and addressed."
initial monthly meetings, the task force will focus on developing a fair and
consistent policy to ensure that every polling location across the state is
accessible to all voters -- as required by federal law.
"Our goal is to
ensure that Colorado is 100 percent compliant with accessibility laws for the
2008 election," Coffman said.
Task force members will also serve in an
advisory capacity to Coffman on any elections issues before the General
Assembly, and will assist the Secretary in examining the potential impact of
such issues on people with disabilities.
"People with disabilities
represent some of the most vulnerable voters among us," said Faith Gross, VOTE!
Program Coordinator for the Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older
People. "It is critical that public officials consider their needs when drafting
legislation or creating policy. We appreciate Secretary Coffman's commitment to
the Disability Community and we look forward to a productive working
The task force members are:
- David Bolin, Executive Director, Center for People with Disabilities
- Barbara Boyer, Executive Director, American Council of the Blind of Colorado
- Bruce Gogan, Center for People with Disabilities
- Faith Gross, VOTE! Program Coordinator, The Legal Center for People with
Disabilities and Older People
- Sheila Hicks, Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition
- Scott LaBarre, President, National Federation of the Blind of Colorado
- Diane McGeorge, Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of Colorado
- Julie Reiskin, Executive Director, Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition
- Terrance Turner, Executive CO-Director, Atlantis Community Inc.
- Patricia Yeager, University of Northern Colorado, Rehabilitation Continuing