Podcast: When Cops Troll Back, Streaming Live Video from Drones, the Mic Drop Heard Across the Internet
News and views on social media in state and local government in one tidy little package.
Listen using the player above and subscribe on iTunes and Stitcher so you can take it with you.
SHOW NOTESSMILE, YOU’RE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Dustin and Anil returned from the SMILE Conference with social media lessons from law enforcement that apply to Govies everywhere. Plus on the Week in Tweet, Eyragon and Paul join the conversation about everything from a pot-seeking Twitterer who was invited to police HQ, blowback against Facebook's editorial choices, and a slew of new features to keep Periscope in the live video game. And finally, a fond farewell to Boaty McBoatFace.
WEEK IN TWEETFor more information about the stories mentioned in this episode, check out the following links.
POT AND POLICE
- Trolling Back: Pot-seeking high school student engaged by local police
- Cannot Be Ignored: Two dozen federal agencies are reviewing applicants’ social media history while running background checks before granting clearance
- Blowback Against Facebook: Former employees claim they routinely suppressed conservative news
- Wait! Social Media Has Editors?!?!? Wasn't social supposed to allow government to reach its audience directly?
- Curating User Generated Video: Why Periscope hired an editor in chief
- Streaming Live Video from Drones: Periscope doubles down on its efforts to compete in live video space
- Aunt Hillary Getting Her Social On: POTUS takes a gentle jab at would-be successor
- Lessons from Internet Naming Fails: The last word on the saga of Boaty McBoatface
PLAYLISTMusic heard on this episode:
- The Rolling Stones, Jumpin Jack Flash (1970)
- Brewer and Shipley, One Take Over The Line (1969)
- Flash 'N' The Pan, Media Man (1980)
- W. G. "Snuffy” Walden, West Wing Theme (1999)
- Aquaman and Nerd Dad Toys, The Boaty McBoatFace Song (2016)
- Gordon Lightfoot, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (1976)
LIKE WHAT YOU ARE HEARING?
We’d appreciate your help in spreading the word about the GovTech Social podcast. Tell a friend. Share this episode on your social graph. And write a review on iTunes.