The Launch of the 2018 GovTech 100 List
Plus, Martin O'Malley joins ClearGov's board of directors, and Mapzen shuts down.
The 2018 GovTech 100 List is Out!
Check out the companies here
A Sudden Spike in Gov Tech Deals Since the last GovTechBiz newsletter, there have been a lot of deals. Here they are, from most to least recent:
- Blockchain Voting Startup Raises $2.2M Seed Round The company, Voatz, has been testing its mobile-first platform in a variety of settings.
- Government Bond Startup Closes $10M Series A BondLink is young, but it's already signed the state of Florida and other big clients on as customers.
- Elucd Raises $1M Seed Round The startup, which is already serving the country's single largest municipal police force, has raised money from the Omidyar Network and Y Combinator.
- Hubbell Buys Aclara for $1.1B The publicly-traded company has acquired smart meter-maker Aclara in what is likely the largest gov tech deal ever.
- Passport Raises $43M Series C, Gets into Tolling The company's single-investor Series C round gives it money to grow its staff 50 percent, get into a new service and open international offices.
Martin O'Malley Joins ClearGov's Board of Directors
The former Maryland governor and presidential candidate will join ClearGov
in the midst of a busy season that has seen the startup roll out several new projects.
Mapzen Shuts Down
The GIS platform, a favorite of many in the GIS community for its ease of use and open-source approach, is shutting down. Users have until February to grab what code and data they want
before the API goes dark.
How Firefighters Use Drones
A new infographic from a drone retailer offers insights into how firefighters use drones and how big the market is
GovTech company on our radar this week:
Calthrope Analytics: Offering software to better plan sustainable urban growth.
Run a GovTech company? Get on our radar here.
WHAT WE'RE READING
GovTechBiz is our weekly newsletter covering the companies, deals and trends in the business of gov tech. Got a news tip? Other feedback? We're listening. Send it to GovTechBiz Writer Ben Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for the latest gov tech news as it happens? Subscribe to GT newsletters.