The top public-sector IT professionals and projects in New York state were recognized for their innovation and best practices during a ceremony at GTC East: The New York Digital Government Summit.
The top public-sector IT professionals and projects in New York state were recognized for their innovation and best practices at a ceremony during GTC East: The New York Digital Government Summit 2011 event in Albany.
The awards, given last week, were selected by the Center for Digital Government, a research division of e.Republic Inc., the parent company of Government Technology magazine.
In a separate ceremony, Government Technology, in partnership with the state of New York, awarded the first-annual Governor Hugh L. Carey Leadership Award for Outstanding Public Stewardship to RoAnn M. Destito, commissioner of the New York State Office of General Services.
Before serving as the commissioner, Destito served as chairwoman of the Assembly Standing Committee on Governmental Operations, and was confirmed into office in 2001. During that time, she helped develop partnerships to strengthen New York’s technology practices by connecting industry giants such as IBM, Intel and Sematech with higher education institutions at SUNY IT in Utica and the University at Albany’s School of Nanosciences.
“She has had the vision and forethought to expand opportunities for New York’s high-tech economy,” said Alan Cox, executive director of Government Technology executive events.
The following is a complete list of the 2011 Best of New York award winners:
Demonstrated Leadership in Management of IT:
• David Gardam, CIO, Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
Demonstrated Excellence in Project Management:
• Steven Harte, associate commissioner, wireless technologies, New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT)
Best Application Serving an Agency’s Business Needs:
• Secure Offender Network Law Library Automation Project, NYS Departments of Corrections and Community Supervision
• NYS Collections Optimization Project, NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
Best Application Serving the Public:
• Online Registration for H1N1 Community-Based Vaccination Clinic, Albany County Department of Health
• OCFS Child Care Time and Attendance Application, NYS Office of Children and Family Services
• Enhancing the Public Meeting Process for the Town of Southampton, Town of Southhampton Town Clerk and Information Technology
• WebAddressChange, NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
Best IT Collaboration Among Organizations:
• MyDMV and DMV Registration Authority Services for NY.gov ID Accounts, NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
• NYS Medicaid Expenditure Forecasting Database, NYS Division of the Budget
• NYePAY – Electronic Benefits Payment System, NYS Office of Children and Family Services
Best In-House Developed Application:
• CIO/OFT Reverse Auction System (RAS), NYS Chief Information Officer Office for Technology
Most Innovative Use of Technology:
• OTDA Mobile-optimized Website, NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
• Land Mobile Radio Internet Protocol System; NYC DoITT; and the NYC Fire Department
Green IT Award:
• Greening DMV, NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
Joseph Agresta, manager of client server support and development, NYS Higher Education Services Corp.
Govind Bedasie, senior LAN administrator, Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. of the State of New York
Jason Biernacki, manager of education and support. NYS Senate
Matthew Carter, network engineer, Columbia County
Kathy Charron, help desk manager, NYS Department of Transportation
Richard Cletus, IT specialist V (SE), NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
John Dlugolecki, manager of network infrastructure, NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)
Mike Dominy, IT specialist III, NYS Homes and Community Renewal
Maureen Fahy, IT specialist III, NYS Office of Victim Services
Janet Fisher, manager of IT services I, NYS Department of Health
Venu Gopal, manager of network services and advanced systems, Lehman College/City University of New York
Brenda Haskell, assistant division director, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Mary Herman, IT specialist III, NYS Department of Corrections and Community Services
Joe Iannucci, assistant director of IT services I, NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
Cheryl Irvin, IT specialist IV, NYS Department of Corrections and Community Services
Pamela Knowles, acting information security officer, NYS Office of Children and Family Services
Milton Lopez, IT specialist II, NYS Office of Medicaid Inspector General
Jan Mason, IT assistant, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets
Craig Mingle, IT specialist IV, NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
Mark Mossman, IT specialist III, NYS Office of the Chief Information Officer/Office for Technology
Don Schultze, senior PC specialist, Chautauqua County
Tammy Select, assistant director, IT division of the NYS Governor’s Office of Employee Relations
Steve Septer, manager of ITS I - (DB)
NYS Office of Mental Health
Tim Spencer, SFS program infrastructure manager, NYS Statewide Financial System (SFS) Program
Eileen Wierzbowski, assistant director for applications for IT Services, NYS Department of Education