Recommendations to New York State on IT Governance
Five recommendations for enterprise IT investment.
The Center for Technology in Government (CTG) at the University at Albany-SUNY recently released a report targeted at building new capability for enterprise information technology investment decision making for New York State.Creating Enhanced Enterprise Information Technology Governance for New York State: A Set of Recommendations for Value-Generating makes five recommendations:
- Establish the Executive Enterprise Governance Board (EEGB) to ensure alignment of enterprise IT decision making with current state policies and strategic priorities.
- Establish an Information Technology Investment Board (ITIB).
- Adopt the CIO Council Charter as drafted by the CIO Council Action Team Co-Chairs.
- Establish a Technology Services Advisory Council (TSAC) to oversee the centralized IT services state agencies purchase from CIO/OFT.
- Establish a temporary Enterprise IT Governance Implementation Committee with responsibility to implement the new IT governance structures and design a process for periodic review and assessment of how the new structure enhances the transparency, efficiency and coordination of the state's enterprise IT investment decisions.
The recommendations were developed through a collaborative, year-long process conducted by CTG on behalf of the New York State CIO community. Numerous workshops, meetings and discussions focused on IT investment decision making were held with stakeholders at all levels in the state, said CTG in a release.