Electric Grid is a Huge Cybersecurity Vulnerability
Lights Out book by Ted Koppel affirmed by recent news story.
It was only a few weeks ago that I blogged on the new Ted Koppel book about the cybersecurity risks to America's electrical grid, see Lights Out--Destroying America, One Infrastructure at a Time
Then earlier this week, the AP ran a story, AP Investigation: US power grid vulnerable to foreign hacks
It is a affirmation of everything I've read in Koppel's book. And it confirms some of what I expect:
- We really don't know how much penetration of our electrical grid has already occurred.
- Companies overestimate their ability to keep their systems protected.
- The federal government will not be able to assist to the degree that people might expect -- limited assets exist.
- It is only a matter of time before someone pulls the trigger and takes down part of the grid.
- Electrical grid outages could last not just days, but weeks -- even months, if there are damages to equipment.
That makes for a very fine Merry Christmas!