Podcast: Creating an Authentic Social Voice, Converting Haters Along the Way
News and views on social media in state and local government in one tidy little package.
Listen using the player above and subscribe on iTunes and Stitcher so you can take it with you.
SHOW NOTESChris Weidel, new media manager in the Nashville Mayor's Office, keeps a sticky note on her desk with a list of former haters who have come around to the city's side. Her fixation on conversion is both practical and strategic: "People can be really stubborn, especially when you're not face to face," she says, "but once you win them over, they are stubborn for us and they're helping spread that message."
Chris joins regulars Dustin Haisler, Anil Chawla, Paul Taylor and Eyragon Eidam to talk about what an authentic social media voice is for a city, how it works and why it matters.
Chris and panel also provide some (unsolicited) practical advice and encouragement for Chippewa County, Wis., as it contemplates taking the plunge into social media.
Elsewhere in the episode:
- What Happens in Vegas Does Not Always Stay in Vegas: Pokémon Go boosts city of Las Vegas' engagement efforts;
- Now You See It, Now You Don't: A more ephemeral Instagram complicates archiving for public agencies;
- Meet the POTUS Messenger Bot: With only months left in the Obama administration, the White House adds one more technological first — which provides an important clue for public agencies about where social is going.
JOIN USWe would love to have you join us at the next GovTech Social Unconference. We're coming to galvanize in Denver, Colo.! Attendance is limited, so get your free ticket now. We'll kick things off on Thursday, Oct. 6, with a full day of interactive sessions, feed you lunch (also free) and wrap things up by noon on Friday, Oct. 7. Reserve your spot now.
PLAYLISTMusic heard on this episode:
- The J. Geils Band, Love Stinks (1980)
- Joe Walsh, Ordinary Average Guys (1991)
- Rachel Platten, Fight Song (2015)
- Bruce Springsteen, My Hometown (1984)
- Fleetwood Mac, Don't Stop (1997)
- Jackson 5, Rockin' Robin (1972)
- The J. Geils Band, Freeze Frame (1981)
LIKE WHAT YOU ARE HEARING?
We’d appreciate your help in spreading the word about the GovTech Social podcast. Tell a friend. Share this episode on your social graph. And write a review on iTunes.