- Properly dispose of bills, monthly statements, credit offers and convenience checks
- Never give out account numbers or social security numbers to strangers
- Never write your social security number on checks or use as a password
- Make sure your full credit card number or expiration date does not appear on receipts
- Do not respond to emails asking for personal information (Example: Bank info update)
"Now that the General Assembly has passed these important tools for fighting identity theft, Illinois consumers must play an active role in the protection of their credit," said Gaudette. "Every Illinois consumer should know where to get your free credit report, how to review your credit report, and what to do when you become a victim of identity theft."
In accordance with federal legislation, citizens are able to obtain a free, annual credit report from each of the three major credit reporting agencies.